Allen moves on

Marianna Zapata, Distribution Manager

Since the days math and science were taught on the second floor, long before Morris Hall, Mr. Christopher Allen has been cultivating the math and science program at Masters for 16 years. Most of his life has developed while he has been teaching here at Masters. In 2008, Allen married his wife in Estherwood, and in 2013 his 14 month baby girl Gabriella was born. Masters has clearly had a vital role in much of Allen’s life.

He hopes that in his time at Masters he has helped make an strong impact in physics at Masters. But besides the fact that Allen has helped physics grow significantly in numbers and in depth, teaching both AP Physics, regular Physics, and even a robotics science seminar, he recognizes the importance of students really learning the material. Probably one among many reasons that he is so appreciated by his students, is his ability to connect with the student and help them understand the material. Allen explains, “I have always wanted students to understand that making mistakes is okay, and it’s really just a part of learning.”

Outside of teaching, Allen is President and Secretary of National Honor Society, advisor of Gaming Club, and assistant coach of girls Varsity Volleyball. Outside of that, Allen even competed in ballroom dancing competitions, becoming amateur national champion for American Smooth style.

After school hours, Allen comes home to Cole Dorm where he is a dorm parent. His first year at Masters, Allen was a dorm parent in Ford Dorm when it used to be a boys dorm. He then moved to Cole, and became part of the weekend team, later on becoming a Cole Dorm parent. He recalls that his favorite memory of being a dorm parent in Cole are all the birthday celebrations. Allen recalls, “It is really nice for the whole dorm to bond and celebrate someone’s birthday together. It really feels like a family.”

From here, Allen will still be teaching physics and science seminars at the new school he will be working at next fall. His reasons for moving are to be closer to family while and his wife raising their daughter. In simple terms, “it’s easier to raise a family when surrounded by family” as Allen explained. Allen says that his experience with genuinely nice people of Masters has really helped him become the teacher he is today, and that is something he will cherish from Masters forever.