CNBC Commentator to be Graduation Speaker

Asli Noyan, Photo Editor

Saturday, June 11 will be just another day for many. For the Class of 2016, however, it will be the day that wraps up their Masters career. A crowd will gather at the Graduation Terrace in the afternoon to hear a commencement speech from Ron Insana, a Senior Analyst and Commentator at CNBC.

Emma Michiels, the senior who nominated Insana to give the commencement address, stated that the main reason why she nominated him was that “he has been all around the spectrum…and will give a mix of informative and heartfelt speech.” Though Michiels said that she knew him more on a personal level rather than a business level, she explained that his career in journalism and business has allowed him to “have a lot of insight in the world.” For instance, she said that Insana was “there on 9/11 to report on it.”

The process of picking the commencement speaker is fairly simple. At the beginning of the school year, members of the senior class nominate people they believe can give a compelling commencement speech. These students then write a short biography of their nominees that are later distributed to the whole grade at class meeting. Each student casts a vote and the nominee with the most votes is chosen.

Insana is currently a professional public speaker and hosts the radio show called The Market Scoreboard Report. He has a daughter who will also be graduating from high school this year.