Parking Policy lots improvement

Mark Tseytin, Sports Editor

Seniors walking from their cars to Morning Meeting this year are at ease because of the new parking policy that prohibits the use of the senior lot to any other people. Although this is not new, the rule is enforced more this year with the implementation of ticketing and warnings.

This change enables the community to filter out the students that are supposed to be parking there, from those that are not. Such a system is enforced with the new ticketing process, which allows for the limiting of outsiders in the designated parking lots. Seniors who register for a parking pass will be the only ones allowed to park in both the student lot and in the Fonseca Center lot. Juniors will still only be allowed to park on Clinton avenue, like last year.

A student, or even a faculty member is allowed only two warning tickets before getting a sticker glued to their car. There are, however, no fines assessed to people who break the rules. “From a security standpoint the new system has been great about ensuring that the number of spaces dedicated to certain students are used by those students,” Dean of Students, Peter Newcomb said.

In addition to regulating traffic and filtering users, the opening of the Fonseca Center lot to seniors serves as an indicator of how much more space the school needs to accommodate everyone.

History and Religion teacher Brian Cheney said, “ It is not too hard parking on Clinton Ave, it’s just a little inconvenient. I think it is great that Masters is maintaining the school’s beauty by not adding more parking lots. I think it’s fine the way it is now.”

However, Masters did decide, that there was not enough room to fit all the students in the senior lot so the new policy allows for overflow to both the Fonseca Center and behind Estherwood.

“Students will have two warnings and then will be given a serious reminder not to break the policy. Once they receive the adhesive green sticker, they will have one more try before permanently being disallowed from parking on campus,” Head of security Panton Adams,

Some students think the new policy brings many benefits to the school and most are happy that the parking lots get filtered more thoroughly this year.  Although, there are those that do not like the ticketing process.

“I once got a ticket because my permit was glued in the wrong place. As long as it is in the top right of my windshield, I don’t get a ticket. It is just another formality that I am willing to follow so that everyone respects the campus parking rules.” Senior Daniel Starr said.

“It establishes a sense of respect for the seniors, a privilege given to everyone as soon as they’re of age. The rules are the rules, you just have to obey them,” Senior Daniel Solomon said.