MISH transfers from election to selection

Gisele Cestaro and Marianna Gu, News editor

The annual MISH election, which chooses the grade representatives for the following year, will be using a selection process instead of a general vote for electing officers of the 2022-2023 school year. The change is being made because the elections in previous years were geared toward those who were more extraverted since candidates had to give a speech that was followed by a class vote.

The new changes make this role more of a commitment, requiring attending three MISH meetings, as well as filling out a google form application that allows the candidates to give reason for the choice of being MISH officer. This year, MISH has 20 candidates running and four for each grade. 

The role as MISH representative requires students to dedicate time towards community work both inside and outside of school as well as being responsible in arranging school activities such as funding important projects. 

Eunice Wang, one of the freshman MISH representatives, commented on the positive aspects of rebuilding the program. “I think the selection process encourages more students who are genuinely willing to dedicate themselves to MISH to apply for the position because it’s not a popularity contest but rather about responsibility and diligence,” Wang said. 

Due to faculty changes, students who are running for this leadership role put in their application several weeks ago and are eager to hear back, but no decision has been reached. Students are becoming increasingly concerned about not hearing back about their respective positions.  

Temporarily, Head of Upper School, Peter Newcomb, and Dean of Students, Jeff Carnevale, are now the new administrators on the job and taking care of the selection process. 

I think the selection process encourages more students who are genuinely willing to dedicate themselves to MISH to apply for the position because it’s not a popularity contest but rather about responsibility and diligence

— Eunice Wang

Newcomb was unavailable to comment on the selection process at this time but he noted that he and the designated faculty are in the process of finalizing election dates and next steps for the grades. In the coming weeks, candidates will hear back about their potential status as MISH representative. 

Wang expressed that she believes there is a brighter, more inclusive, future ahead for MISH. “I know that some people are afraid to speak in front of a huge crowd and they are often discouraged from running for the reps, but transitioning to a selection process actually motivates more people to step into the leadership position,” she said.