Pierce Wade

Masters students on a field trip with their WInterMission class.

An introduction to WinterMission

Recently we saw the inaugural run of Wintermission, a four-day mini-term between the first and second semesters. Teachers from both the Middle and Upper Schools banded together to design courses on unconventional subjects that are all connected to the part of Masters’ mission statement: to learn, to strive, to dare, to do — to be a power for good in the world.

Jason Hult, director of learning initiatives, was in charge of planning the whole Wintermission program. “The courses are different from how we do school traditionally in that they’re long, unbroken days,” Hult said, “And the goal of WinterMission in a lot of ways is to be disruptive and to challenge us to think differently about what school is and what school can be.”

The planning process began in the fall of 2019, and was interrupted by the pandemic before resuming its course this past summer. Head of School Laura Danforth was inspired by other institutions’ mini-term programs and came up with the idea of doing one at Masters.

The goal of WinterMission in a lot of ways is to be disruptive and to challenge us to think differently about what school is and what school can be.

— Jason Hult

Wintermission felt like a break on campus, a time to step away from traditional school work and reflect on how we all contribute in our own way into the larger world. Interacting with students in other grades, making friends with unfamiliar faces, and spending some time with new teachers sharing their personal passions, Wintermission was an unique experience for most. The four day excursion included activities ranging from classroom discussions to physical exercise. 

“I think it was really successful. I got to hear about all these different adventures that were happening across campus, and in every case there was some sort of discovery and learning happening,” Hult said. 

Looking forward, the Wintermission mini-term will become an annual occurrence at Masters. Out of the 44 courses offered, many will remain available next year, with the possible addition of new classes, based upon teachers’ ideas and proposals. 

The following special issue chronicles some of the courses of this inaugural term, including statements from participants and photos documenting this unique and never-before seen experience.

Tower • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

Comments on stories are posted at the editorial discretion of the Tower staff.
All Tower Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *