PINNOCK ENJOYS LEARNING ABOUT animals in all their forms; sometimes they are as rare as cassowaries, other
times they are as common as dogs. His interest has added a welcome, positive energy to Morning Meeting as students
share his enthusiasm. He loves trips to the Bronx Zoo
PINNOCK ENJOYS LEARNING ABOUT animals in all their forms; sometimes they are as rare as cassowaries, other times they are as common as dogs. His interest has added a welcome, positive energy to Morning Meeting as students share his enthusiasm. He loves trips to the Bronx Zoo
Jack Parsons

‘A little bird told me’ Pinnock likes animals

From gentle bluebirds to killer cassowaries, Alex Pinnock loves all of Earth’s feathered friends, and all other organisms. He eagerly shares that love with the larger community, especially at Masters. Amidst his jam-packed schedule, where he takes two different science classes—Science Research and Honors Chemistry— Pinnock ’26 still finds time to create informational slides about unique organisms for the high school population.  

Pinnock has presented twice at Morning Meeting this year and many more are in the queue. His presentations so far, have been about rare bird species and dinosaurs that interest him. 

This sophomore’s fascination with animals began at a young age when he started exploring the extinction of dinosaurs and watching “Wild Kratts,” a show that covers encounters with wild animals. He frequently visits the nearby Museum of Natural History and the Bronx Zoo to discover new animals. 

Despite his busy calendar, Pinnock has been volunteering at the Bronx River Sound Shore (BRSS) Audubon, since 2018. Since then, he has dedicated every Saturday, from the late spring to late summer, to monitoring the nests of Eastern bluebirds. 

He described his motive for volunteering. “Our goal [BRSS] is to have Eastern bluebirds establish their nests in our area,” Pinnock said. I monitor their progress in doing so, from when they lay their eggs to when their offspring fledge. As the young birds prepare to leave the nest, I band them. I observe the area and the presence of various bird species, the status of eggs, and the construction of new nests.” Pinnock has felt comfortable presenting in front of the Masters Upper School community—but this wasn’t always the case. 

Many people come up to me and give me credit for having the confidence to speak in front of a crowd. Others share their interests in animals, and we get to connect.”

— Alex Pinnock '26

Before he became co-chair of the Middle School and had to present at every morning meeting, Pinnock said he was shy. “When I was Co-Chair, I was already up at morning meetings every day, so I gained some of the confidence I have now to present,” he said. He explained that back in eighth grade, he had animal presentations prepared when there weren’t enough announcements or presentations planned for Morning Meetings.  

The Upper School has shown immense support for Pinnock–both in the halls and the theater at Morning Meetings. He described the positive encounters he has had since doing these presentations. 

“Many people come up to me and give me credit for having the confidence to speak in front of a crowd. Others share their interests in animals, and we get to connect,” Pinnock said. 

Co-Chairs Mahlet Messay ’24 and Arjun Ratan ’24 have allowed Pinnock to display his passions. At the beginning of the school year, Pinnock proposed calendar dates for presentations throughout the year, and they met with him to make his desire happen. Ratan appreciates the enthusiasm that Pinnock radiates. 

“Since Morning Meeting is a space for our community, and not necessarily a place for just our voices, it’s rewarding to have someone willing to present so often, and that the students like to hear,” Ratan said. He continued, “His recurring presentations have inspired other students to share their passion and reach out with future ideas. We had the science club presentation today, similar to being fun and engaging with the audience.”

Since Morning Meeting is a space for our community, and not necessarily a place for just our voices, it’s rewarding to have someone willing to present so often, and that the students like to hear.”

— Arjun Ratan '24

One of his fans, Lucy Vargas, ‘26 described how Pinnock has changed Morning Meeting culture. She said, “I think Alex brings a fun energy to Morning Meeting. His presentations make everyone, including me, perk up. He brings science, biology, and education to people in an entertaining way, not like we are in a science class.” She continued, “I have learned a lot of new facts that I probably wouldn’t have discovered myself. I’m always grateful to learn about new species from Alex.” 

Faculty and staff members have also been fascinated by Pinnock. Upper School Science teacher Elisabeth Merrill said she enjoys seeing students like Pinnock enthusiastic about science. 

“I am so excited when I see kids passionate about any subject, particularly biology because it’s my love. I always notice that the audience is so genuinely interested in what he’s saying and their enthusiasm for him as an individual,” Merrill said. She continued, “They’re celebrating his nerdiness, and that’s awesome.”