The student-run news site of The Masters School

Tower

Tower

Tower

On Martin Luther King Jr. Day each year, Masters students run workshops to explore different core concepts and ideas surrounding the years designated theme.
Student-led MLK day workshops highlight importance of student involvement
Ella Liu, Contributing Writer • February 23, 2024

Student-run workshops led on Martin Luther King Jr. Day each year have been an essential educational experience for students, with each workshop...

Junior captain finishes comeback victory over Marymount in overtime

Thomas McCallum
Captain Eunice Wang lands the final touch to cap off an incredible comeback victory.

Girls Varsity Epee hosted Marymount Wednesday and secured the victory after a thrilling overtime win by captain Eunice Wang ‘25.  After being down 4-1 in the match-deciding bout, Wang came back with a vengeance, going on a 3-0 run to send them into overtime.  

Overtime in fencing is very unique in that it doesn’t actually have to end with anyone scoring.  Instead, a coin is tossed at the beginning to decide who has the priority.  If you have priority, and the one extra minute expires without anyone scoring, you are declared the winner.  

Wang said, “I was closing my eyes when the coin flip happened, hoping I would get it.”  The coin flip landed on Marymount, but that wasn’t going to stop her.  She landed the game-winning hit 9 seconds into the final minute, sealing the victory for Masters.  

In a previous match, Wang was in the exact same situation.  The match was on the line in overtime, and she ended up losing. She said,  “That I lost, and I felt really bad after.  This time I wanted it, and I won. It felt really good.”