The student-run news site of The Masters School

Tower

Tower

Tower

Entering the spring season in stride
Entering the spring season in stride
Adam Bello, Lead Sports Editor • April 25, 2024

The Masters School track team came out victorious in their season-opening home meet. The team showcased their skill on the track breaking multiple...

Winter track team stars shine at Armory Meet

Loewy Nalle
The interior of the Armory Track in NYC, setting of the Master’s Winter Track Team’s impressive performance at their third league meet.

Jan. 8th. Yesterday, the Master’s Winter Track Team attended their third league meet at the Armory Track in NYC. There were many highlights, but in particular, the results of the boys 4X400 and 55 M stood out.

Senior Toby Freeman, a track runner since middle school, has a lot of experience in competition. He said he believes in the companionship and chemistry between his fellow teammates and relayers. This chemistry that the four relayers (Jake Mason, Emmanuel Harris, Bryan Wolfson, and Tobias Freeman) had come into play during the race. 

“Having good chemistry is integral for winning the race. Trusting the teammate who is handing you the baton can affect your time just by a millisecond and potentially lead to not winning,” Freeman explained.  “As an anchor (last leg of the race), the rest of your team is counting on you to secure the win.” 

Fortunately, with this relay’s great teamwork, they won with an outstanding time of 3:40.82. 

Another standout panther was senior Tyler Lovejoy. 

Entered in the 55 and long jump, Lovejoy placed first in his heat for the 55. He has only been running for six weeks, and that can make one feel less confident surrounding the veteran runners. Instead, he said he used the happiness he got from running winter track to support his great results. 

“I’ve continued to improve and I feel happy with my results which have translated into more confidence in my ability,” he said  

Lovejoy placed 45/112 with an exceptional time of 7:49.

Lastly, Freeman added an area for growth that the team can benefit from next season. He remarked that more people on the team could lead to more entries and more opportunities for people to try lesser-known field events, such as the shot put. He added that more people on the team can strengthen the team’s ability.

More Stats:

1. Jake Mason (12th grader)placed 2nd in the 55 overall: 6.83
  2. Emmanuel Harris (12th grader) placed 1st in 55 hurdles Overall: 8.37