Categories:

Masters students embrace a new era of connection

Students use old-fashioned telephones to symbolize the new phone policy preventing phone usage during the school day. The policy, adopted for the 2024-2025 school year, bans students from going on their phones from 8:30-3:05.
Ellen Cowhey

“Our community thrives on strong interpersonal relationships and a deep sense of belonging. At the heart of our Harkness pedagogical approach, we place value on the art of discussion, of being present, and of collaborating with one another,” wrote Head of School Laura Danforth. On Aug. 15, members of the Masters community were informed of a significant change for the 2024-25 school year: Phones would no longer be allowed during the school day.

My initial reaction to the new policy likely mirrored many of yours – sheer horror. 

The thought of navigating the school day without immediate access to our phones seemed unimaginable. Questions arose: How would we coordinate lunch plans, check the LMS or call our parents to vent about the frustrations of the day? My mind spiraled with these life-or-death questions and for a brief, dramatic moment. It felt like the end of civilization as we know it.

A 2022 study conducted by Pew Research Center revealed that 54% of teenagers believe giving up social media would be difficult, while 46% admitted they are online almost constantly. Interestingly, only 36% felt they spent excessive time on their devices – a statistic that reflects a broader societal dependence on digital platforms, often unnoticed by the users.

However, only a couple of days into this phoneless reality, my perspective has changed.

Before the new phone policy, my instinctive reaction after class was to reach for my phone and open Snapchat (unless I was frantically checking my schedule or rushing to Cushing). Now, without immediate access to my device, I aimlessly roam the halls attempting to locate my next class, lost, but, unexpectedly, more social. The transition has been disorienting at times, but it has made me not only less reliant on my phone but also aware of how much time I once wasted on mindless scrolling. 

Another advantage of the new policy is the blissful relief it provides from the relentless onslaught of social media conflicts and group chat notifications. Throughout the school day, we are no longer subjected to the constant distractions of the digital world, as the no-phone rule creates a buffer between academic life and external pressures. It’s nice to focus on my classes and the people right in front of me without worrying about my long-distance friend’s latest issue.

While I originally met the no-phone policy with a mix of disbelief and dread, I’ve come to appreciate its benefits. The “disconnected” world isn’t the end of the world; it might just be a better one.