Students take center stage in the spring shorts

George Weed/TOWER

The annual spring shorts feature three one-act plays, produced by Masters students.

Michael Fitzgerald, News Editor

Coming to Masters on April 28 and 29 are three student-run, one-act comedy plays in the Experimental Theater.  These comedies, the spring shorts, are one of the most appealing theatrical productions at Masters.

Though the students are primarily in charge, Head of Drama Department Chris Briante is serving as the Production Supervisor.  This production will include actors of all different experience levels.  In total, 34 students will partake in the spring shorts as actors or directors, and others contributing as members of the tech crew.  The one-acts are very attractive to new actors, as they aren’t as stressful as longer productions.

“I love theater, and the spring shorts give me the perfect opportunity to act.  It’s great to work with friends, and the bonding experience is terrific,” junior Heather Smith said.  Smith is the lead in one of the shorts, Check Please.  This play will be directed by junior Dylan Douglas and sophomore Leah McLellan, and is a play regarding speed dating.

While the one-acts are usually plays that have been written and performed by professionals, junior Owen Gifford-Smith took on the challenge of writing his own play, 7 and the Room’s Still Dark.  This play will be directed by senior Taylor Kesecki.  The play is about seven writers trapped in a basement, and they must write a play or else they will be killed.

Hard Candy, will be directed by junior Shirin Sabety and is a handful of interviews for a corporate position.  After each interview takes place, the interviewee becomes the interviewer.

The spring shorts should be a comedic theatrical performance, with a wide variety of actors.