HQ app sweeps Masters

Sarah Faber, Social Media Manager

The clock strikes three. Among the rustling of papers and zipping of bags, a familiar buzz can be heard– it’s time for HQ. Students flock to tables in the Fonseca Center, hunched over their phones, waiting for the 3:00 game to start. Soon, almost one million people will be on the HQ app, answering trivia questions for a chance to win a portion of money that differs on the day. Masters students–and even teachers–are not immune from the HQ fever that’s sweeping the country.

The trivia game show app started as a project from Vine’s co-founder, Rus Yusupov, as “a way to give people a chance to have fun, maybe win, maybe learn something new.” Every day at 3 pm and 9 pm HQ goes live. The host, Scott Rogowski, affectionately welcome the “Hq-ties” to the game and opens with some banter. 12 questions appear, each with 3 multiple choice options. If you get a question wrong, you will be eliminated from the game. The lucky players who make it past the final question will receive a portion of the prize money, usually $2500. The money is divided amongst the winners.

Students gather around tables in the Fonseca Center and try to help each other with the trivia questions. But not only students are using it– teachers have been playing as well.

“I actually first heard about it in one of my chemistry classes, and I’ve been a pretty consistent HQ-er ever since,” said Class of 2021 Dean, Strong Dorm Parent and Science faculty Eric Shear. “There’s no risk, and it’s a fun way to do some trivia. In the dorms, whenever I’m on duty a whole bunch of the boys play, which is fun. It’s a nice little community building thing.”