Track has strong showing at home meet

Vincent Alban

Junior Dorian Gilmartin leaving his competition in the dust.

Morgan Brettschneider, News Design Editor

Masters’ track and field team has set many high goals for the season, many of which  have already been met thus far. The team has had two meets in which many members of the team have set personal bests individually as well as  in relays.

On Saturday April 7 at Masters home meet, the Masters Relays, the team achieved success. The girls 4×200 relay team with Grace Falci ‘21, Sabrina Wolfson ‘22, Sarah Wu ‘22 and Sophie Ruehlmann ‘20 took first place. The the boys’ 4×200  relay team with freshmen, Tavin Staber and Jason Campbell, and juniors, Dorian Gilmartin and Judah Francella, came in second place. Individual success was also met. Junior Judah Francella jumped 20’11 in the long jump, taking home a win and setting a new personal best. Sophomore Molly Rusoff, who threw 53’6 and Lance Leys who threw 27’9  placed third.

Coach Kenyetta Iyevbele spoke highly of the team. “This year we have a great number of athletes with talent and potential not only to qualify for NYSAIS championships but earn a place on the podium there as well as our FAA championship meet,” said Iyevbele. The team has always been working extremely hard at practice to try and achieve their goals. “We have a series of drills that are a part of our warm-up routine that aid in helping each athlete’s running form. We focus on arm placement down to the way our feet strike the track,” said Iyevbele.