Spring Shorts return with more plays and more student agency

Sarah Faber, Staff Writer

A cast of theater veterans and first-time actors alike presented the annual Spring Shorts in the experimental theater this past weekend, with one show on Fri. May 3, and two on Sat., May 4.  

Usually, the Shorts consist of three or four comedic sketches, most directed by students, with one student-written play. This year, however, the Shorts were comprised of seven plays, more than any year in the history of the Shorts– every play was directed by students, including two that were student-written. The seven plays presented were Revenge of the Gingerbread Boy, directed by Ian Accetta ‘19; From the Mouths of Babes, directed by Nova Rivers ‘20; Bloody Mary, directed by Phyllis Pan ‘19; Life Line; Mystery at Twicknam Vicarage, directed by Ariana Copland ‘20; Bird Brained, written by Lila Patterson ‘22 and directed by Patterson and Leah Cunningham ‘19; and Got It, written by Tim Borowiec ‘20 and directed by Borowiec and Matteo Pagano ‘20.  

Borowiec, a junior and member of Phoenix, co-directed a show he wrote about a director who accidentally casts the world’s “worst” actress in his show, thinking she is a celebrity. “I was in the Spring Shorts last year as a cast member, and it was one of my favorite shows of the year because there’s an independence about it that doesn’t really exist for any other production,” Borowiec said. “It’s been really rewarding to be on the other side of it as a director. Instead of the show just happening around you, you get to control it, which is really cool.”