Shamira Guillaume

Shamira Guillaume is running for one of two 2020-2021 co-chair slots. She hopes to make morning meetings entertaining and informative, as well as include more students in discussions related to executive committee decisions.

Meet the co-chair candidates: Shamira Guillaume

Five candidates will go head to head in Masters’ first ever virtual co-chair elections on April 30. Here’s everything you need to know about finalist Shamira Guillaume before casting your ballot.

Shamira Guillaume collaboratively sponsored and passed her first executive committee proposal last September, after three years of participating in executive committee. The bill led to the installment of various faculty and staff face boards, as a means of faculty and staff appreciation, according to the statement of rationale. 

“Passing that bill solidified my want to spread positivity and make Masters a more unified place,” she said. 

Guillaume said that while she officially decided to run for co-chair this year, she has been thinking about running since before her freshman year, when she was captivated by her first ever morning meeting experience on her revisit day. 

“The community and sense of togetherness that morning meeting brings was one of the reasons I went to Masters,” she said. If elected, she said she hopes to have the same impact on other students next year by making morning meetings informative and entertaining. 

Guillaume also emphasized her desire to better gauge the opinions of the entire student body when it comes to executive committee proposals, and ultimately make the submission and discussion processes less “daunting.” Her vision is to have a dropbox by the A-to-Z board where individuals can write their ideas or express concerns, and then survey students to get a sense of how the issues raised are impacting the broader community.

In addition to being part of the student activities team and the president of ONYX, Guillaume said being a boarder has allowed her to become skilled in leadership.

“You learn to sit down in the common room and really listen to what people are going through, and also give them advice,” she said. 

Tower • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in