The student-run news site of The Masters School

Tower

Tower

Tower

The varsity girls lacrosse team celebrates together on the field.
Commitment is key: girls lacrosse’s spring transformation
Ayalah Spratt and Ayanna Beckett May 1, 2024

As this year’s hopefuls filed onto the field for girls’ lacrosse tryouts, Coach Alexis DiDomenico couldn’t believe her eyes. Over 50 girls...

Postcard from the cafe: “Rica”

After a long day of schoolwork and stress, Masters students stop by the FC cafe and are always greeted with a smile and food recommendations from “Rica” behind the counter. The Cafe manager, Emrica Jusu-Davies, is known as “Rica” to the Masters student body. She wanted students to call her by something shorter when she started working at Masters in fall of 2021. 

Jusu-Davies described her favorite part about working at the FC cafe. She said,“I love getting the chance to interact with the kids while I’m working here. I always have interesting conversations with the students and get to meet new ones every day. They check in on me to see how I am doing.” She continued, “It makes me feel good and loved.”

One of the students she used to connect with on a daily basis is alumnus Peter Vega ‘23. He mentioned his meaningful connection with Jusu-Davies in his senior speech, and she attended graduation for him. “Rica is an angel. She’s the heart and soul of the FC. Every day she approaches her job with genuine kindness that has an impactful effect on all students at the Cafe,” Vega said. He continued, “She is the reason why visiting the Cafe is an essential decision people should make for a warming, and inviting experience.”

When a student is struggling with deciding what cafe item to buy, Jusu-Davies almost always recommends the gluten-free rice-krispie treat—her personal favorite. Jusu-Davies explained one of her favorite interactions she has while working: “Parents come in and look, because their kids go home and tell them about me. They then talk to me, introduce themselves and say how much of an impact I have had on their kid,” Jusu-Davies said. 

Junior Colin Smith, visits the cafe frequently—at least four times a week—to see Jusu-Davies. He explained the special connection he has with Jusu-Davies. “She brings such a bright light to my life, especially when school gets really hard. I love visiting her at the cafe and discussing everything from how days are going to learning about her daughter,”  Smith said. He continued, “She’s a wonderful person to be around and her smile is seriously infectious. Any of our little laughs together can make my day ten times better.”