The student-run news site of The Masters School

Tower

Tower

Tower

Photo gallery: GVS Senior Game Vs. GCDS 10/30
Varsity squash team travels to nationals
Roses scattered in front of Graduation Terrace: the 2023-2024 school year is officially brought to a close.
Class of 2024 Graduation: Pt. 1
Ellie Hise, Editor in Chief • June 18, 2024

The class of 2024 took a final look at Masters Hall during the graduation ceremony on June 8. By mid-morning, the senior class collected their...

Jake Mason sprints to Denison

Jake+Mason+24+will+be+attending+Denison+University+in+Ohio+to+run+track.+He+hopes+to+excel+there+and+break+school+records.+
Matthias Jaylen Sandoval
Jake Mason ’24 will be attending Denison University in Ohio to run track. He hopes to excel there and break school records.

One of the most decorated runners in Masters track history, Jake Mason ‘24, has committed to Denison University in Ohio to play for their track and field team. Senior Jake Mason is a two-season runner who does indoor and outdoor track. He has been running for Masters since his sophomore year.

Mason was a natural-born athlete. He said he’s always loved playing sports, and as a kid he always knew he was fast. Mason originally was a baseball player, but during the spring season of his sophomore year, he decided to try running track. He said, “I had a pretty successful first year. I really enjoyed it, and then started doing it my junior and senior year.”

Throughout his time at Masters he’s broken multiple school records including the indoor 100 and 200 meter relay last season. He was also a part of the team that broke the school record for the indoor 4 by 400 relay. Along with that, he holds an outdoor school record for the 4 by 100 relay. Mason has also been invited to several invitational competitions and nationals for his elite performance.

Mason loves being the team captain and holding that leadership position. He said, “It means a lot to be someone that’s there for underclassmen, because sometimes when you’re starting out, it’s hard. So you have got to be supportive and friendly.” He continued, “You have to make sure they know that they’re welcome on the team, and that you want them to improve. It’s fun at the end of the day, because it’s a sport and you’re with a team, you’re bonding, and you get to grow pretty close to them.” 

Junior track runner, Brian Wolfson spoke highly of his teammate. He said, “Everyone knows Jake is one of the fastest runners on the team, but it is also apparent that he gives all of his effort to his training. Jake has suffered multiple injuries, but he always pushes through the pain for the team. At FAA champs Jake ran one of the fastest times at the meet, earning a spot in the 100-meter final. Although Jake injured his hamstring when running in the preliminary race, he made sure to push through the pain and jog his way to the finish line, earning Masters valuable points.”

Wolfson continued, “Denison University is lucky to have recruited a runner like Jake Mason. I know that he will shine in his future meets in college and build invaluable bonds with his teammates. Jake has truly paved the way for the Masters track team, showing that through hard work anything is possible.”

Mason said he is ready for the big change from high school to college. He said, “Masters was great for four years, but I want to further my track career in college and be at a college with great facilities. I’m really excited and look forward to meeting new people and new teammates. I’ll miss my teammates here.”

Mason said he has his eyes on the prize and is focused on always improving, getting stronger and getting faster. He said, “We will be doing morning lifts and then practices every day. And my main focus is just getting better, getting those times down and hopefully breaking some school records there as well.”