Money-mad Masters students pour cash into cryptocurrencies

David Oks & Cedar Berrol-Young, Opinion Editor/Opinion Editor

The world has gone crypto-crazy. Chris Larsen, the obscure founder of the Ripple cryptocurrency, saw his net worth briefly eclipse Mark Zuckerberg’s. Newspapers and magazine regularly run profiles of the new generation of “crypto millionaires” and “crypto billionaires.” Hedge funds that deal in the most prominent cryptocurrency, bitcoin, have seen their returns soar, while the value of bitcoin itself rose from seven cents in 2010 to $11,709 in February 2018—itself lower than its peak at $20,000 in December 2017. For many seeking to make a quick buck, “crypto” is a brave new world.

Masters is not immune to the craze. Several Masters students have jumped into cryptocurrency markets with vim that rivals battle-hardened traders. Junior Daniel Jaffe, who has long harbored an interest in finance, owns two bitcoins, together worth more than $23,000. He earned his first Bitcoin in an online competition, and received his second as a birthday gift from his father.

Jaffe, though he holds several bitcoin, isn’t confident about its long-term viability. “I think it’s a bubble that’s gonna burst. I give it maybe six more months, then it’s gonna crash,” Jaffe said. “My concern is that it’s way too valuable. For a currency that’s not checked by the government, it’s way overvalued.”

He also doesn’t think bitcoin is safe. “Security is one thing I’m really concerned about. I’ve heard stories about people stealing bitcoin, I heard about North Korea stealing bitcoin,” he said. Jaffe said he plans to get out of the crypto market soon: “sell, sell, get rid of it.”

Perhaps Masters’ premier bitcoin evangelist is junior Daneal Senderovich. Senderovich runs a crypto-news Instagram account, @cryptonews.now, which has more than 900 followers. His account regularly posts market analyses and memes related to bitcoin and the crypto market, including to alternative cryptocurrencies, called “altcoins.” Besides his Instagram account, he invests in the crypto market for his father and regularly gives investment advice to friends. He is considering the crypto market as a career.

For several months, Senderovich was involved in mining cryptocurrency and selling it. “We were doing an Ethyrium a month, and by June we had about six. When we started, one Ethyrium was worth $5, then it rose to $20,” he said. “So we sold. Eight months later, you know how much one Ethyrium is worth? It’s $1000.” Shortly after selling, Senderovich found that his mining was costing his family more in electricity bills than he was earning, and promptly pivoted from mining crypto to trading in it. “Mining is unsustainable, and trading is better,” Senderovich said.

Currently, “I don’t actually own that much bitcoin,” he said. “But I own altcoins, like Ethyrium, Litecoin, Dashcoin, Stellar, Verge, Ripple, IOTA and Ecoin. I also analyze a lot more than just those.” Overall, Senderovich has several thousand dollars in cryptocurrencies.

Senderovich is optimistic about crypto’s future. “Crypto is not a bubble. All these analysts that we look at on TV that are calling it a bubble, they don’t understand the market. If you do research and plan beforehand, you can figure out where the market is going. The people who stand to criticize it stand to lose the most when crypto goes big,” he said.

Senderovich is bullish on crypto as an investment. “It’s still very volatile, and I wouldn’t advise someone to put millions into it,” he said. “But buy now. We just had a correction in the market, but now it’s the beginning of a big bull market.”

“In general, I’ve made good profit. I’ve tripled my investment,” Senderovich said. “My main advice is ‘get involved now.’”