Madkins is a ‘perfect fit’ for learning enhancement and development director

Learning+Enhancement+and+Development+Director+Julee+Madkins+is+a+new+addition+to+the+Masters%E2%80%99+community.+She+has+training+in+teaching+children+with+special+needs+and+believes+that+it+is+necessary+to+implement+different+learning+styles+in+independent+schools.+

Clara Kolker

Learning Enhancement and Development Director Julee Madkins is a new addition to the Masters’ community. She has training in teaching children with special needs and believes that it is necessary to implement different learning styles in independent schools.

Clara Kolker, Contributing Writer

Julee Madkins’ favorite thing about Masters is the school’s “distinct culture of kindness.” While she and her family have lived in the Westchester County area for two years, the spring of 2019 marked a warm introduction to the Masters community, not only as a faculty member, but also as a parent of Olivia Madkins ‘23.

When the position of Learning Enhancement and Development Director (LEAD) opened following her daughter’s admission, Madkins knew that this was the work environment that she desired.

Originally, Madkins trained to be a teacher for children with special needs in California public schools. However, after her kids reached school age, she realized there was a need for differentiated learning help in independent schools.

As LEAD specialist, Madkins works with students, helping them develop effective study strategies. Madkins clarified that while she helps facilitate accommodations for students with learning difficulties, her office is “open to any student who feels thatthey need an additional layer of support”.

Madkins works closely alongside Upper School faculty member James Minio and Mona Hazarika-Tamucci of the Middle School. She’s very happy to be part of the Masters community, she said, and the community seems to be glad she’s part of it, too.

“I think she’s a perfect fit,” Minio commented. “The faculty seem to really love working with her, and she gives her 100%.  It’s a good two-way street.”

That being said, Madkins revealed that she has a secret, darker side: she is a serial April Fools prankster.

Like any professional, Madkins wouldn’t give away her secrets but did admit that her pranks have gotten so .elaborate that her husband has started warning their children every time April 1 creeps around the corner.

“He warns them, but he doesn’t know what I’m going to do either. So every year I have to get tricky about it. Each year they think they’re prepared,” She smiles, a mischievous twinkle in her eye. “But I get them every time.”