The beginning of the end: seniors take the first steps towards graduation

Josh Markowitz

Class of 2022 celebrates their high school graduation. During the week of June 5, 2023 the seniors will undergo four practices to prepare for the big day. Graduation will mark the end of their time at Masters.

Lucas Seguinot, Editor-in-Chief

On June 10th, the Class of 2023 will take their final steps as Masters students. For these seniors, graduation isn’t just a date in history, but a culmination of practices and time poured into perfecting the celebration. In the weeks leading up to the big day, students practice in anticipation for how the actual day will look like. Around campus, a graduation fever seems to take place too. 

Masters graduation is a day rooted in tradition. Historically there has been a dress requirement of a white dress, a white pantsuit, or a navy blue blazer with white pants and the trademark Masters tie. The celebration takes place on Graduation Terrace, a part of Masters Hall named for being the hallowed ground on which graduation takes place. Students walk down the graduation steps, an area commonly untouched for many of the Masters community until their fateful day. Photos can be seen from some of the first graduations to modern day.

During the week of finals, the seniors go through three to four practice runs. Most of the planning for practices are orchestrated by Head of the Upper School Peter Newcomb and Senior Class Dean, English teacher Darren Wood. They consist of going through the motions, so the seniors can get a feel of what the real day will be like.. 

Wood has followed the class on an uncommon journey. Since freshman year, the senior class has undergone the leadership of 3 class deans. Their first class dean, Matt Kammrath, left after their sophomore year, prompting former English teacher Miguel Segovia to take over. After Segovia moved on to another school, Wood was approached to take the position. 

“It has been a pleasure to get to know them… I feel a mix of delight that I got to spend time with them in this way, but also regret that I didn’t have two years or even three years to get to them in this way before they graduate.” 

For class presidents Tyler Hack and Aimme Ayala, this day takes on an extra responsibility, because class presidents give speeches for their class and those attending. This year is Hack and Ayala’s second year serving together. Ayala admits to feeling some pressure to have a successful speech. “ I want it to be good, I want something the class will appreciate, but I also want it to be something unique. I am nervous about the content, but not actually the speaking.” 

Even with all the fluctuations of class deans and changes within the grade, Ayala looks back fondly over her time with the deans and the class overall. “Every single dean has been very unique and had very unique leadership styles, which has been very fun.” Ayala continued, “It has been a good time seeing the class change and mature over time.”

For senior Miranda Dennis, graduation is about more than leaving school. Dennis has been part of the Masters community and lived on campus since birth, as the daughter of a long time faculty member, Michele Dennis. Dennis is also one of the few remaining members of the fifth grade class, the first grade you can enter in Masters.

“This month is the biggest month because it is so soon, and you are trying to soak up every last memory with your friends. It is a bit sad but exciting knowing that we are moving on to the next chapter,” Dennis said.