Dohters Sing for a Cause

Dohters Sing for a Cause

Annie Rubinson, Blogger

Among the oldest clubs on campus, Dohters has been entertaining the Masters School with beautiful, harmonious music since 1964–but just this past week, Dohters took their passions to the next level. The group performed on Feb. 27, 2018, at a MISH-organized event called “Performing For Hope,” to Hope’s Door, a charity that provides support for victims of domestic violence. Performing for Hope was a collaboration between MISH, SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions), and Outspoken, and the students raised $1375.

Dohters is an upper-voice a cappella group that welcomes singers across all four grades to perform on various occasions throughout the year. Each Thursday evening, the group spends two hours learning and rehearsing music. Zia Foxhall, sophomore and second-year member added that “Occasionally we’ll turn the lights off and sing in the dark to connect with the other members of the group so you’re not looking at them and you’re only feeling the sound and moving with everyone.” Dohters’ repertoire is composed of contemporary folk music, original music, and traditional songs that are performed every year. The presidents, Charlotte Peterson and Miranda Luiz, along with the rest of the members work to create a fun, close-knit environment for all of the girls.

Hope’s Door is a non-profit organization that spreads awareness and looks to aid women who have been severely impacted by domestic violence. Therefore, Senior MISH representatives Heather Smith and Jake Masters saw it fit for the benefit to be women empowerment-themed; meaning that each performer showcased a piece that represented the struggles and resilience of women.

Keeping in mind the theme of the event, Dohters performed an a cappella rendition of MILCK’s “I Can’t Keep Quiet.” Charlotte Peterson, co-president, comments on the song choice: “The whole message behind the song is speaking out and using your voice for what’s right, [which] went along well with the theme of the performance.” She added that the song was originally written and performed for the 2016 Women’s March and that it eventually became “the theme song of the protest.” Many of the girls in the club, in addition to singing with Dohters, also performed their own individual songs that corresponded with the theme of female empowerment.

Just as Performing for Hope prompted many conversations within the Masters community, Dohters serves as a safe place for members to share, bond, and reflect. Peterson describes the group as “a loving atmosphere where the girls feel open to share things.” Both Peterson and Luiz said they are working hard to preserve this element of the group, and also looking to enhance the musicianship of the club by learning more complex songs.

Dohters will have their next performance at the Spring SPG festival in May. Stay tuned for more details, and visit https://hopesdoorny.org for more information about the organization and ways to get involved.