Where Are They Now: Congressional Staffer Fisch recounts experience with Capitol insurrection

Zach+Fisch+10+walks+at+graduation+%28left%29.+Fisch%2C+now+Chief+of+Staff+to+Congressman+Mondaire+Jones+%28D-NY%29%2C+walks+with+Jones+%28right%29.+

Images courtesy of Zach Fisch

Zach Fisch ’10 walks at graduation (left). Fisch, now Chief of Staff to Congressman Mondaire Jones (D-NY), walks with Jones (right).

Mitch Fink, Editor-in-Chief

Zach Fisch didn’t have long to adjust to his new job on Capitol Hill. Just four days after settling into his office in the Capitol Complex’s Longworth Building, Fisch was given a rude introduction to Washington, D.C., in the form of the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol. Fisch’s office was a safe distance away from the intruders who wreaked havoc on the Capitol, but he still left the day shocked and shaken. Fisch, who serves as Chief of Staff for Democrat Congressman Mondaire Jones (NY-17), graduated from Masters in 2010 before becoming a lawyer and ultimately getting involved in politics

It was a day I will remember for as long as I live.

— Zach Fisch

Episode 2 of the “Where Are They Now?” podcast features a conversation with Fisch and host Mitch Fink. The first segment, which can be found on Soundcloud, covers Fisch’s experience with the Jan. 6 Capitol riots. The following segments will be released shortly. They will cover topics from the legislative work Fisch has done in his role on Jones’ staff, to some of Fisch’s memories from his time at Masters just over a decade ago.

In the second segment, Fisch discusses his work with Jones’ team as Chief of Staff, touches on some policy issues and legislative goals and talks about his role in the case of Paul Pierrilus, a Rockland County man wrongfully deported to Haiti, despite having never visited the country.

In the third and final segment, Fisch reflects on his time at Masters, and on Tower, discusses the impact his high school days had on his current career path.

Podcast Credits:

• The podcast was recorded on Jan. 24
  • Music––Something I Like (Instrumental) by RYYZN
  • Editing by Mitch Fink

If you would like to provide feedback on this podcast or suggest future guests, please reach out to Mitch at: mitchell.fink@mastersny.org.