The student-run news site of The Masters School

Tower

Tower

Tower

The varsity girls lacrosse team celebrates together on the field.
Commitment is key: girls lacrosse’s spring transformation
May 1, 2024

As this year’s hopefuls filed onto the field for girls’ lacrosse tryouts, Coach Alexis DiDomenico couldn’t believe her eyes. Over 50 girls...

Special snow for first year international boarders

Tower
Boarders enjoying the first snow of the season sledding down the reunion field hill.

A rare night of snowfall hit the Masters School campus, covering the campus and the Dobbs Ferry area with over four inches of snow in early January. This has been the first substantial sight of snow in the last two years in the New York area. Boarders celebrated with snowball fights, sledding and building snowmen.

The season’s first sight of snow was especially meaningful for some of the communities newest international boarders though. For some of them, it was the first time in their lives they’d ever seen snow. 

Freshman Zara Murray, from Jamaica, has never seen snow before. Though this is not her first time in the United States, she has never been in a region cold enough where seeing snow was a possibility. 

Murray said, “It was really cool, because just as I left my swim meet, there was snow on the floor, and it was really cool– magical.” She continued to say how she was able to go sledding for the first time and noted how fun the whole experience was for her.

The same goes for another new freshman, Dylan Fernandez, who is originally from Alajuela, Costa Rica, and has never seen snow either. 

Fernandez said, “As I walked into the dining hall, I started to see the snow from the window, and I got really excited, and I went outside and started to touch it.” He continued, “They told me it was going to be .1 inches, and it ended up being five, so my first ever time seeing it, snow, was great.” Fernandez spent his day having a full-fledged snow day, engaging in traditional festivities– building snowmen, sledding, and going through intense snowball fights.