The student-run news site of The Masters School

Tower

Tower

Tower

The varsity girls lacrosse team celebrates together on the field.
Commitment is key: girls lacrosse’s spring transformation
Ayalah Spratt and Ayanna Beckett May 1, 2024

As this year’s hopefuls filed onto the field for girls’ lacrosse tryouts, Coach Alexis DiDomenico couldn’t believe her eyes. Over 50 girls...

Editorial: It is about time we give back to the community that has given us so much

Masters School Advancement Office
Many junior and senior students took part of the annual alumni giving day. They went to the Sharon Room during their free time in order to raise funds.

211 gifts were made,  70,000 dollars were raised and 40 student volunteers were active in raising money for Masters’ annual Alumnae/i Giving Day. It is safe to say that the fundraiser for the Masters Fund was a great victory for the advancement office but most importantly the school as a whole. And the money raised will immediately be invested back into supporting the entire school community, 

Upperclassmen had the privilege of making calls to alumni dating all the way back to the class of 1947 up to the most recent class of 2023. The buzz of the room was purely exuberant and joyful. Current students connected with alumni over the phone, left voicemails, wrote thank you notes and even connected with those whose Masters experience was vastly different from theirs. That is what community looks like. Where students, staff and alumni come together no matter their differences, with one goal in mind: creating a better Masters for the next generation of leaders and powers for good in the world.

However, the efforts by the school to provide quality education can go unnoticed. It is easy to take for granted something that we experience every day. The wonderful food we eat. The amazing and decorated teachers we have. The innovative and unique course offerings. The state-of-the-art facilities we use every day. And the loving family we’re able to make at Masters. 

Being a part of this beautiful educational community is a blessing, that not everyone is lucky enough to have. High school is the transition between our childhood and adulthood and here is where we build our core relationships and memories, all things for which we should feel eternally grateful. 

Masters provides us with so much, but as we grow older, and we say goodbye and move on to college, it’s even more important to reflect on how we can give back. Masters constantly strives to make itself better for all of us, and it’s time that we all do the same. 

Our support, no matter how you volunteer, or how much you donate, can and will make a difference. Giving gifts has immense potential for personalization of what you care about most. Gifts can dedicated to five areas aligned with the school mission: To learn (Academics, Professional Development and Faculty), to strive (Financial Aid, Inclusive Excellence and Initiatives), to dare (Arts,  Athletics and Innovation Projects), to do (Student Life and Clubs), and power for good (the school’s greatest need at the time). 

Beyond money though, the advancement office benefits from simply hearing about the student experience. When talking to alumni, they adore to hear about the lives of students both on the individual and community scale. A simple conversation with a member of the advancement team or even just an email can greatly enhance work that they do everyday. 

By giving back we can help ensure that all future classes of Masters students can enjoy an even better experience than we had as students here, ensuring our alma mater’s success for many more years to come.