Calling all students: order less takeout

Photo+by+Sofia+Linden+

Photo by Sofia Linden

Sofia Linden, Editor-in-Chief

Enter Masters Hall. You are met with pristine floors, well-polished windows, and the smell of chicken tenders and Chinese food. Whether it’s lunch-time, break, during frees or after school, the influx of take out food appears to be both continuous throughout the day, and ever increasing throughout the year. Three years ago, I recall take out food being a special occasion, where clubs would order in pizza, or groups of friends would decide to splurge a little and buy a bunch of food, but now it has become the norm.

The regular occurrence of students ordering large quantities of not-so-healthy takeout is stinking up our well-maintained facilities and most likely emptying some wallets. The dining hall has a full staff dedicated to making enough nutricious food for the entire student and faculty body. They work hard to have all three meals readily available for us, and yet, students continuously ignore their prepaid meals to treat themselves. Although I doubt you can call it treating yourself if it’s multiple times a week.

Ordering take out isn’t something that should be banned altogether, but when meals are already made for you and paid for, it’s both illogical to to spending more money on food than necessary, and rude to the people who made you food to choose takeout as a weekly option. If takeout was ordered on everyone in a while, it be more special, because more time and consideration would go into ordering the food, and it would taste more enjoyable. It would also be a lot healthier, because most takeout food is not meant to be eaten regularly. It’s oily, full of fats, and lacking a large range of nutrients most of the time. It’s important to remember moderation is key