Beehive catapults call for sustainability

Cedar Berrol-Young, Managing Editor

Earlier this month, hearing outcry for Honey Bees from environmental experts, the United States decided to place the Honey Bee on it’s endangered species list. In an effort to save the once very populous animal the endangered species title will help nationally funded wildlife reservoirs and entomologists preserve and research the bees and the reasons for their loss in population.

The Masters School, in its new sustainability efforts, aims to help with this problem by educating its students in the environmental science classes about the causes and ways to solve it. In addition to this, Masters also has built its very own beehive. The beehive is located behind clarke field and is tended to by Bedford Bee, a company located in Westchester and checks on the bees once a week to make sure the hive is functional.

“It’s a drop in the bucket, but in time it will help the biodiversity in the area and help to pollinate surrounding plants.” said May. May also hopes that the school will incorporate a club where students can care for to the hive and get hands on with the bees. The beehive does not collect honey yet but May wishes for a new honey collection system that will allow the dinning hall to use the honey from the bees. May also think a pollinator garden that allows the bees to pollinate plants that we will be able to eat.

The beehive is not large now but with time and effort, the Masters beehive might be an essential part of the sustainability efforts on campus.