Tower

Coaches Corner: Kenyetta Iyevbele

Back to Article
Back to Article

Coaches Corner: Kenyetta Iyevbele

Logan Schiciano, Blogger

The Track and Field/Cross Country program has seen a resurgence this year; now that the foundation for the team has been set, the team is rapidly on the rise. A lot of this success has to be credited to the outstanding coaches that the athletic department has assembled this year, many of whom are current professionals or have years of coaching already under their belts. Kenyetta Iyevbele is one of the members of this strong team of coaches.                                                                         

Ivevbele, who is originally from North Carolina, ran at NC State and holds the school indoor and outdoor record in the 800m. She also was a 2016 Olympic Trial Qualifier, and a 2017 US Nationals Qualifier, both for the 800m. Needless to say, Ivevbele, who currently runs professionally for the New York/New Jersey Track Club, has a phenomenal reputation.        

Despite all these impressive accomplishments, Ivevbele is perhaps respected more by members of the team for her fantastic personality and prowess when it comes to coaching here at Masters. Freshman Brenna Hazen, who has been on the team since the fall said, “Kenyetta is an incredible coach who consistently supports the team, gives great advice, and always has a smile on her face. I love coming to practice knowing that I can become a better runner due to her coaching techniques.”                                                                                                                          

As noted by Hazen, Ivevbele is tremendously committed to the Masters Team and has a passion for her involvement in the program. “I think it’s really cool to get kids excited about running and to see them improve. The kids really make it worthwhile, and even when they might be having a rough day, I appreciate that they are always so interested and trust the coaching they receive.”                                                                                                                                               

To any runner aspiring to be great, Ivevbele explains, “It’s so important to be positive. If you don’t give yourself a chance and you don’t do everything you can, then you’ll never know how far you’ll go – and that’s in general, not just in running.”                                                                               

Ivevbele herself hopes to one day represent the United States in the Olympics, but for now, continues to strive to be an inspiration to others, something she said she values even more than personal records and victories.