Students celebrate Spirit Week with fashion and fans

Charlie Cooper

Fans cheer on the boys’ junior varsity two basketball team in a game against Greenwich Country Day on Tuesday, Feb. 8. The team ended up losing by a score of 33-22.

Aurora Rose Horn, Staff Writer

As the winter has roared in once again with snow and sleet and freezing rain, so has one of the long-standing traditions at Masters – Spirit Week. Staples of Spirit Week include dress-themed days and daily sporting events where the community can gather and support one another. Organized by Dobbs Athletic Association (DAA), the goal is to cultivate a sense of school pride, and according to one of the DAA Co-Presidents, senior Kyle Benson, that’s exactly what’s happening.

“Yesterday was pajama day, and it was extremely successful,” Benson said in an interview on Tuesday. “We had a lot of people wearing pajamas–students, teachers, faculty, the whole mix–so that was very nice.” Following pajama day on Monday, students came dressed in gear from different decades for the “Decades Day” theme on Tuesday. On Wednesday, DAA incorporated the Delta/Phi rivalry with a “Delta: Winter, Phi: Summer” theme, in which Delta students dressed up in winter clothes while Phi students donned summer attire. “Crazy Hat Day” occurred Thursday before a “Purple Out” on Friday rounds out this week’s festivities. 

Furthermore, Benson spoke to the importance of school spirit. “I think that it allows the community to come together over an entertaining and exciting experience,” he said. “I’m a very avid athlete, and I love having supporters come and watch my games, so I know that similarly athletes and students would love to have their peers come and watch.”

After fans came out in full strength to lend their support during the boys varsity soccer team’s NYSAIS championship run, senior and DAA Co-President Aidan Lothian spoke about continuing that same school spirit during the winter season. 

“I think it’s really cool to see how much more the fans care than you might initially think,” he said. “It’s cool just to see the fans coming out to support everyone no matter who they are, whether it’s up to varsity basketball or even down to JV2 basketball. It’s fun to see the crowd coming and getting excited.”